We’ve shared 17 great examples of branded content marketing from downunder, highlighted by regional experts in our 2016 Australasia Report edited by Emily Bull at hellofuture.tv:
A BOBCM HQ fave: a radio station for dogs (see full case study).
Air New Zealand: Meanwhile in New Zealand
Highly watchable series of short films, including this remake of the tale of The Tortoise and the Hare.
Metro Trains Melbourne: Dumb Ways to Die
Public service announcement campaign that went viral to become one of those multiple awards winning big culture moment examples of what Google call HERO-content (see full case study).
Air New Zealand: The World’s Most Epic Safety Video
Turning the one piece of content that all airlines are obliged to create – the safety announcement – into content that not only the captive audience on board but also people all over the world wanted to watch.
NZ Transport Agency: TinnyVision
Public service announcement campaign using Snapchat to get message across to young kiwi audience about the dangers of driving when stoned.
Destination NSW: Plonk
Comedy series about a bumbling attempt to make a serious wine programme exploring the iconic wine regions of Australia now in second season.
Bayer: The Advantage Family
YouTube Channel featuring real life pet stories and how-to HELP-type videos on pet nutrition and health.
Series of short films about individuals with inspiring stories that are linked to the brand’s – ‘the only limits are those you place on yourself’ – repositioning.
Perth Racing: AshBecLee
Seven part comedy web series encouraging people to rethink what a day at the races involves.
Air New Zealand: Kiwi Skeptics
Online reality show documenting Air New Zealand’s attempts to turn four Australian ‘Kiwi Sceptics’ into advocates to help make NZ an Aussie destination desire.
Blue Ball Foundation: Game of Balls
Public Service Announcement using porn parody of ‘Game of Thrones’ for an Australian testicular cancer charity.
Optus: Netflix Launch with Ricky Gervais
Viral anti-ad featuring Ricky Gervais spruiking Netflix Australia launch. Grand Prix winner of the 2015 BE Fest regional branded entertainment awards.
University of Western Australia: Unlimited Series
Inspiring tales of WSU alumni and the role the university has played in their journeys including former Sudanese child soldier Deng Thiak.
Whiskas: CatstagramEmpowering cats to post own pics to Instagram from their POV with ‘wearable’ tech.
Coca-Cola: Share a coke
Reconnecting Aussies with Coca-Cola by replacing the logo on millions of bottles with 150 of Australia’s most popular names, and then making the fans the face of the campaign.
DB Export: Brewtroleum
Kiwi men are asked to save the planet by drinking more DB Export beer (in order to help make beer-derived biofuel commercially available).
Short films promoting Australian grown and produced food by humanising the farming process.
This round-up of great work from Australasia was put together with kind help from the following:
- Emily Bull, Executive Producer and Co-Founder of Hellofuture.tv
- Jason Burrows, Managing Director, EP Television Jungle Co
- Jason Carnew, General Manager, Haystac
- Adam Ferrier, Global Chief Strategy Officer / Partner, Cummins&Partners
- John Ford, CEO & Founder, The One Centre
- Roshni Hegerman, Strategic Planning Director, McCann
- Mike Hill, former CEO, Holler
- Cameron Jurd, Founder, Oxygen360
- Alex Light, Commercial Director, VICE Australia
- Danielle Long, Editor, Branded Arts Review; Curator, Festival of Mumbrella’s Branded Entertainment Festival
- Ciarán Norris, Director – Marketing & Business Insights Consultation, American Express
- Christie Poulos, Global Head of Video, King Content
- Lauren Quaintance, Co-Founder and Head of Content, Storyation
- Anathea Ruys, Head of Fuse Asia Pacific, Omnicom Media Group Asia Pacific
- Ahmad Salim, Group Business Director, Colenso BBDO
- Ayal Steiner, General Manager Australia and New Zealand, Outbrain
Justin Kirby, is an author, strategist and curator of the Best of Branded Content Marketing (BOBCM) series of publications and events.