A BOBCM HQ fave: a radio station for dogs (see full case study in BOBCM D&AD Special Edition 2015).
Air New Zealand: Meanwhile in New Zealand
Metro Trains Melbourne: Dumb Ways to Die
Public service announcement campaign that went viral to become one of those multiple awards winning big culture moment examples of what Google call HERO-content (see full BOBCM Case Study).
Air New Zealand: The World’s Most Epic Safety Video
Turning the one piece of content that all airlines are obliged to create – the safety announcement – into content that not only the captive audience on board but also people all over the world wanted to watch.
NZ Transport Agency: TinnyVision
Public service announcement campaign using Snapchat to get message across to young kiwi audience about the dangers of driving when stoned.
Destination NSW: Plonk
Comedy series about a bumbling attempt to make a serious wine programme exploring the iconic wine regions of Australia now in second season.
Bayer: The Advantage Family
YouTube Channel featuring real life pet stories and how-to HELP-type videos on pet nutrition and health.
Series of short films about individuals with inspiring stories that are linked to the brand’s – ‘the only limits are those you place on yourself’ – repositioning.
Perth Racing: AshBecLee
Seven part comedy web series encouraging people to rethink what a day at the races involves.
Air New Zealand: Kiwi Skeptics
Online reality show documenting Air New Zealand’s attempts to turn four Australian ‘Kiwi Sceptics’ into advocates to help make NZ an Aussie destination desire.
Blue Ball Foundation: Game of Balls
Public Service Announcement using porn parody of ‘Game of Thrones’ for an Australian testicular cancer charity.
Optus: Netflix Launch with Ricky Gervais
Viral anti-ad featuring Ricky Gervais spruiking Netflix Australia launch. Grand Prix winner of the 2015 BE Fest regional branded entertainment awards.
University of Western Australia: Unlimited Series
Inspiring tales of WSU alumni and the role the university has played in their journeys including former Sudanese child soldier Deng Thiak.
Whiskas: CatstagramEmpowering cats to post own pics to Instagram from their POV with ‘wearable’ tech.
Coca-Cola: Share a coke
Reconnecting Aussies with Coca-Cola by replacing the logo on millions of bottles with 150 of Australia’s most popular names, and then making the fans the face of the campaign.
DB Export: Brewtroleum
Kiwi men are asked to save the planet by drinking more DB Export beer (in order to help make beer-derived biofuel commercially available).
Short films promoting Australian grown and produced food by humanising the farming process.
This round-up of great work from Australasia was put together with kind help from the following:
- Emily Bull, Executive Producer and Co-Founder of Hellofuture.tv
- Jason Burrows, Managing Director, EP Television Jungle Co
- Jason Carnew, General Manager, Haystac
- Adam Ferrier, Global Chief Strategy Officer / Partner, Cummins&Partners
- John Ford, CEO & Founder, The One Centre
- Roshni Hegerman, Strategic Planning Director, McCann
- Mike Hill, former CEO, Holler
- Cameron Jurd, Founder, Oxygen360
- Alex Light, Commercial Director, VICE Australia
- Danielle Long, Editor, Branded Arts Review; Curator, Festival of Mumbrella’s Branded Entertainment Festival
- Ciarán Norris, Director – Marketing & Business Insights Consultation, American Express
- Christie Poulos, Global Head of Video, King Content
- Lauren Quaintance, Co-Founder and Head of Content, Storyation
- Anathea Ruys, Head of Fuse Asia Pacific, Omnicom Media Group Asia Pacific
- Ahmad Salim, Group Business Director, Colenso BBDO
- Ayal Steiner, General Manager Australia and New Zealand, Outbrain
Check out the 2016 Australasia Report from Emily Bull, and also the accompanying 2016 Australasia Expert Insight Report where regional branded content practitioners share their advice about when and how to use branded content with BOBCM curator Justin Kirby, and also their insights into the region’s emerging trends during 2016.