The Journal of Branded Content Marketing (JoBCM) was a project originally instigated by BOBCM’s curator Justin Kirby and academic researcher Sophie Berke with help from Raymond Pettit, VP, Analytics at ComScore, Inc.
Over 40 academics and practitioners with a foot in academia at the forefront of research into branded content and related areas were identified and invited to participate in the development of project’s mission, aims and objectives (see list below).
Part of the initial remit was to look at how the broader Content space might be defined or at least conceptualised. This was the catalyst for the Introduction of the new book by BOBCM’s curator Justin Kirby and JOBCM collaborator Lazar Dzamic published by Kogan Page.
The Definitive Guide to Strategic Content Marketing is available for pre-order in April 2018, and includes input from a number of the JOBCM’s academic collaborators. The Introduction is dedicated to the inability of the industry to define Content in a clear and unified way. It explores five groups of ‘vectors’ conceptualizing different definition attempts and how these reflect various co-habiting business and intellectual models of the modern marketing industry. And introduces the possibility that Content is not a separate discipline, but a symptom of the wider media evolution, a stepping-stone towards more experience-based brand building.
You can read more about what prompted the JOBCM collaboration here. There are also interviews with a selection of the participants, which formed part of the initial engagement of the group a long with a collaborative literature review.
The original Mission, Aims and lists of Research Areas and Participants are included below:
The original aim was to create a bi-annual academic journal into disseminate knowledge and publish groundbreaking research in Branded Content/Content Marketing, targeting both academics and practitioners working in and researching this field. The idea being to enable collaboration and exchange between academics and practitioners and support partnerships and knowledge generation contributing to the development and growth of both the industry and academia active in Branded Content Marketing.
An international and multidisciplinary group of academics and practitioners were recruited to help with its goal of providing a public forum that reflects the current understanding of Branded Content Marketing practices, their role in a challenging marketing communications and media environment, and their impact on communications and on society.
Its aims and the disciplines and research areas it plans to cover are included below, and we are currently in discussions with potential partners about possible content partners. In the meantime. you can read the feedback from its supporter about the need and purpose, and also posts they have written here. Feel free to come and join us in our LinkedIn Group or get in contact via the form below if you’d like to know more or support us
- Publish high quality academic research with international contributions.
- Create impact by ensuring the journal as a whole is relevant for industries and practitioners, academics, policy networks and civil society.
- Encourage rigorously executed empirical research in branded content marketing
- Facilitate collaboration and information exchange between academics and practitioners.
- Highlight under explored research and areas not yet recognised as significant.
- Provide robust evidence on the efficacy of branded content marketing approaches.
- Facilitate collaborative curriculum development and investigate new challenges and directions in teaching and research.
Disciplines and research areas:
JOBCM uses the term Branded Content Marketing to describe the rapidly evolving field of Branded Content and Content Marketing.
With Branded Content Marketing involving all project phases from development, to production, communication, distribution and measurement, it also represents a touchpoint of various key activities as creativity, management, design and strategy. The JOBCM therefore encourages submissions from any relevant discipline, such as Marketing, Advertising, Public Relations, Communication and Media, Journalism, Consumer Behavior, Psychology, Sociology, Cultural Studies, Media Management.
- Branded Content
- Branded Entertainment
- Product Placement Innovation
- Transmedia Branding
- Brand Storytelling
- Branded User-generated Content
- Measurement models
- Business Model Innovation
- Innovation in Technology
- Ethics, Law and Policy
- Social Media and Digital Platforms
- Big Data
- Native Advertising
- Consumer and Social Research
- Entertainment Research
- Jörg Matthes, Professor of Communication and Director of the Department of Communication at the University of Vienna
- Martin Waiguny, Programme Director International Business and Export Management at University of Applied Sciences Krems
- Karen Nelson-Field, Professor of Media Innovation at University of Adelaide and CEO of Media Intelligence Co.
- Patrícia Weiss, Chairman and Founder BCMA South America, Strategic Consultant for Branded Content & Entertainment and Brand Narratives
- Henri Kingo, Managing Director and Senior Strategist, Wunderman Helsinki, guest speaker at Aalto University Executive Education and BA/MA thesis tutor
- Björn Hoven, Founder and CEO of The Story Maker and Co-Author of Brand Content book
- Reinhardt Kunz, Assistant Professor of Media Management at the University of Bayreuth
- Roland Mattmüller, Professor and Chair of Strategic Marketing at the European Business School in Oestrich-Winkel and Academic Director of the ‘Markenakademie’ (brands academy)
- Jan-Sebastian Schmalz, Senior Consultant Branded Entertainment at Branded Entertainment agency Locavi in Stuttgart and article author in Branded Entertainment book
- Lisa Wolter, Head of Brand & Consumer Research and Postdoc/lecturer in the Marketing department of Hamburg Media School
- Roberto Nelli, Professor of Marketing and Business Communication at the Faculty of Economics at the Catholic University of the Sacred Heart of Piacenza and Scientific Director of the Branded Content Lab
- Eva van Reijmersdal, Assistant Professor at the University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam School of Communication Research ASCoR – The Netherlands
- Izabela Derda, Head of Entertainment at Havas Sports&Entertainment and Head of Content at Havas Media Group, and also teaching a rotation of relevant courses
- Belem Barbosa, Adjunct Professor and Programme Director of MSc in Marketing at the University of Aveiro
- Lazar Dzamic, Creative Strategist Google ZOO EMEA and lecturer at Singidunum University, Belgrade
- Uros Gorican, Creative Director Publicis Slovenia
- José Martí Parreño, Associate Professor at Universidad Europea de Valencia and Universidad Europea de Madrid
- Mohammed Ibahrine, Associate Professor of Marketing and Advertising at the American University of Sharjah, Dubai
- Matthew Freeman, Senior Lecturer in Media and Communication and Director of the Media Futures Research Centre at the Department of Film, Media and Creative Computing of Bath Spa University
- Paul Grainge, Professor of Film and Television Studies, Faculty of Arts, University of Nottingham
- Haiming Hang, Associate Professor of Marketing and Director of Studies MSc in Marketing at the University of Bath School of Management
- Jonathan Hardy, Professor of Media and Communications at the University of East London
- Vince Medeiros, Publishing Director, The Church of London Publishing
- Clare O’Brien, Senior Programmes Manager at IAB
- Sarah Wood, Co-CEO and Co-founder, Unruly (recently acquired by News Corp), and Associate Lecturer and Course Convenor at University of Cambridge
- Siva Balasubramanian, Harold L. Stuart Endowed Chair in Business and Director of Stuart School Management Science Programs at Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT)
- Sara Champlin, Assistant Professor of Advertising at the University of North Texas
- Sylvia Chan-Olmsted, Professor at Department of Telecommunication and Director of Consumer Media Research at the University of Florida
- Mara Einstein, Professor of Media Studies at Queens College
- Stacy Landreth Grau, Professor of Marketing Practice, Department of Marketing, Neeley School of Business, Texas Christian University
- Jun Heo, Assistant Professor at Manship School of Mass Communication, Louisiana State University
- Kacy Kim, Assistant Professor of Marketing at Elon University
- Raymond Pettit, Vice President of Analytics at comScore and Head of Rentrak Academic Partnership Programme for comScore
- Robert Rose, Chief Strategy Officer, Content Marketing Institute
- Jonathan Schroeder, Professor at the School of Communication, College of Liberal Arts, Rochester Institute of Technology
- David Schweidel, Associate Professor of Marketing at Emory University’s Goizueta Business School
- JoAnn Sciarrino, Knight Chair in Digital Advertising and Marketing at the UNC School of Media and Journalism
- Heather Shoenberger, Assistant Professor at the University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication
- Kenneth Wilbur, Associate Professor of Marketing at the University of California San Diego, Rady School of Management
- Sukki Yoon, Associate Professor of Marketing at Bryant University